- Issue date: 05/11/2012
- Printing Process: Offset
- Paper: Autoadhesivo fosforescente
- Size of stamp: 40,9 x 28,8 mm y 28,8 x 40,9 mm (horizontal y vertical)
- Sheet effects: 25
- Postal value of the stamps: 0,36 € y 0,70 €
- Print run: 300.000 de cada motivo
- Date of edition: 05/11/2012
Christmas has been an inspiration theme for artists of all times and is present in painting, sculpture, literature, music and also on stamps. The first series of stamps dedicated to this theme was issued in 1955 and again in 1959. Since then, and without interruption, philately issues this series annually, which commemorates in the Christian worship, the birth of Jesus.
Since ancient times the Christmas festivity has been celebrated as a cult of the solstice and the rebirth of nature. In the Christian calendar it seems to be Pope Julius I who, in 350, requested that the birth of Jesus Christ be celebrated on December 25th. During the Middle Ages, and to confer solemnity to the celebration, performances of the mystery were held along with Christmas carols signing accompanied by the sound of pastoral instruments such as the horn, tambourine, whistle and zambomba. Today Christmas is still one of the festivities most deeply embedded in society where religious tradition and family life entwine. Both in Western countries and in many of the Eastern ones it is customary at Christmas to decorate cities with colourful lights, garlands and ornaments.
The series is made up of two stamps referring to Christmas with images of the past and present.
The first of the stamps depict The Adoration of the Magi, a mural of the 13th and 14th centuries found in the Chapel of St. Martin or Chapel of the Oil in the Old Cathedral of Salamanca. This Chapel is located at the foot of the cathedral and its walls are decorated with polychrome paintings. In the basement are the graves of several bishops, like Rodrigo Diaz, beneath the fresco of the Adoration. Back in 1996 a stamp series was devoted to the Nativity with a panel painting from the Diocesan Museum of the Old Cathedral of Salamanca.