- Issue date: 13/06/2005
- Printing Process: Calcografía
- Paper: Estucado engomado mate fosforescente
- Size of stamp: 40.9 x 28,8 mm. (horizontal)
- Sheet effects: 50
- Postal value of the stamps: 1,95 €
- Print run: Ilimitada
- Dented: 13 3/4
This year the state-run hotels (or Paradors) series devotes its stamp to the Parador de Oropesa, in the village of Gredos in the province of Toledo.
Little is known of the ancient history of Oropesa and some authors even give it a Greek origin. What is certain however, is that King Enrique II of Castille gave away these lands – along with an old castle, its villages and boroughs - to García Alvarez de Toledo in reward for services rendered. At the beginning of the 15th century, the new count and countess of Oropesa built over the ancient fortress the building known as the old palace, keeping the old central tower and the ones at the far ends. A century later, the building was extended with the construction of a rectangular palace of Spanish-renaissance style. This beautiful complex half castle-half palace was declared a national monument in 1923 and in 1930 was turned into a state-run hotel, or Parador, becoming the second in the vast network that exists nowadays. From the Oropesa Parador, built on top of a hill, a beautiful landscape with smooth hills, wheat fields and the woods of Campo de Arañuelo, contrasting with the high peaks of the snowy mountains of Gredos can be seen. In the façade, the solid masonry is present in more than a hundred balconies and in big and small windows; on the inside, spacious rooms, glassy brick floors, a staircase, patios, corridors and rooms. There is also noble gothic-mudejar coffering in the dining rooms where the typical menu of the Toledo cuisine such as Arañuelo breadcrumbs, partridge in prickling brine and seasonal products can be tasted. As in all state-run hotels, big chests, lamps, thick curtains and furniture of the time as well as some baroque carving have been used for decoration. The state-run hotels first appeared around 1920 on initiative of the Marquis of la Vega Inclán, first promoter of Spanish tourism, restoring old castles, convents, palaces and monasteries. The first was the one in Gredos, inaugurated by King Alfonso XIII in 1928. The stamp depicts a view of the inside patio of the Parador de Oropesa to which the stamp is devoted.