- Issue date: 25/09/2006
- Printing Process: Huecograbado
- Paper: Estucado, engomado, fosforescente
- Size of stamp: 40,9 x 28,8 mm. (horizontal)
- Sheet effects: 50
- Postal value of the stamps: 0,57 €
- Print run: 600.000
- Dented: 13 3/4
Football is once again, the main theme of this year’s Sports series with a stamp devoted to commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Real Club Deportivo La Coruña (SAD).
Football was introduced in the town of La Coruña by Jose Maria Abalo in 1902 influenced by his stay in England where football was there a popular sport. An amateur team turned up and in 1906 was officially named: Club Deportivo de la Sala Calvet, in recognition to the most prestigious gym in town. The young sportsmen played their matches in the Corralón de la Gaiteira, up until the building of the Riazor football stadium, which no longer exits. In 1909, king Alfonso XIII awarded the Club the title of Royal and accepted the chairmanship of honour of the so called Real Club Deportivo de la Coruña. The team wears a blue and white stripped t-shirt, blue shorts and tights and its official coat of arms depicts a gentleman’s belt that surrounds the purple banner of the Calvet gym and the flag of Galicia with the Royal Crown in the centre of the banner over the coat of arms. Right from the beginning, the club has lived many glorious moments winning two Champion’s League in 1999/2000; two Copas del Rey in 1994/95 and 2001/02; and three “Supercopas” in Spain in 1995, 2000 and 2002. It has taken part in 11 european competitions; semifinals in the Champions league in 2003/04; and in the semifinal in the European’s Cup Winner’s Cup in 1995/96. The most bitter moments were live throughout 1974/75 when they went down to the third division The Real Deportivo Club de La Coruña inaugurated the Riazor stadium in 1944 which can now seat 34,600 people. On its 100th anniversary the Club looks ahead with the aim of achieving all its goals and continuing to count on the support of its fans.