- Issue date: 11/04/2011
- Printing Process: Offset
- Paper: Estucado, engomado, fosforescente
- Size of stamp: 28,8 x 40,9 mm. (vertical)
- Sheet effects: 50
- Postal value of the stamps: 0,65 €
- Print run: 300.000
This issue commemorates the Jubilee Year of the fourth centenary of the Holy Cross del Voto in Canjáyar, Almería. The stamp depicts the Holy Cross.
The Santa Cruz del Voto is the patron of the town of Canjáyar and was discovered in the baptistery wall of the parish church on April 19th, 1611. It was discovered after a vision experienced by Juan Matías de Peralta, verger of the church. Tradition says he witnessed a procession of angels carrying the cross from the Main Altar to the baptistery. On request of the verger a part of the wall was excavated and the Holy Cross was found. It is believed that it was brought from the Holy Land by a pilgrim and hidden in the wall to prevent its desecration in the uprising of the Moors in 1500 and 1568.
In 1678 a decree of the archbishop of Granada, Fray Alonso Bernardo de los Rios, endorsed the relic of the Holy Cross and exposed it in adoration of the faithful. In 1681 the Brotherhood of the Santa Cruz was constituted to worship the holy relic and two years later its legal regulation was approved. In 1738 by decree of Archbishop Felipe de Tueros indulgence was granted to those who venerated the cross. Pope Benedict XIV granted a plenary indulgence, published in 1750 and in 1763 Clement XIII by papal decree granted this same privilege to all those who worshiped the Cross in the designated days and in compliance with the canonical requirements of the decree. The Bishop of Almería, Alfonso Rodenas, on April 19 1958, donated and embedded the Lignum Crucis in the Santa Cruz del Voto de Canjáyar
Since its discovery, the authorities and neighbours of Canjáyar committed themselves by vote to commemorate every year such a happy event coinciding with the day of discovery. Hence this stamp issue to commemorate the 400 anniversary of the Santa Cruz, especially after the Jubilee Year was granted by Pope Benedict XVI at the request of the Bishop of Almería.