- Issue date: 09/10/2012
- Printing Process: Calcografía y Offset
- Paper: Estucado, engomado, mate, fosforescente
- Size of stamp: 28,8 x 40,9 mm (vertical)
- Size of block sheet: 79,2 x 105,6 mm (vertical)
- Postal value of the stamps: 2,90 €
- Print run: 280.000 hojas bloque
- Dented: 13 ¾
- Block print run: 280.000 hojas bloque
Towards the end of the 13th century the city of Barcelona had undergone such an artistic and commercial growth that it became necessary to replace the small Romanesque cathedral with a larger and more splendid one. The works were conceived as an extension of this small temple built over a Visigoth church where worship continued whilst it was demolished in stages, keeping the present cathedral its primitive axis.
The Cathedral of Barcelona is dedicated to Saint Eulalia and Saint Cruz, and began to be built in 1298 under the reign of James II and the mandate of Bishop Bernardo Pelegri. It was built in the Catalonian Gothic style and was finished in the 15th century although the current Gothic Revival façade was added in the early 20th century. It has a Latin cross floor plan with three naves almost the same height and the central one double in width than the side ones. The transepts are barely perceptible and join in the ambulatory behind the chancel, forming a semicircular arch where stand nine chapels with logical arches. Along the aisles there are 17 other chapels with have pointed arches at the entrances.
The main altar, made of marble, was consecrated in 1337 and stands on two capitals from the 6th century Visigothic temple. At the bottom of the altar is the image of the Exaltation of the Cross surrounded by six angels by sculptor Frederic Mares made in 1976.
Below the main chapel is the crypt where the relics of St. Eulalia, patron saint of the city are venerated. It dates back to the early 14th century and is covered by very flat vaults.
Attached to the Cathedral is the Gothic cloister built between the XIV and XV centuries. In one corner there is a shrine with a fountain with scenes dedicated to the fight between St. George and the Dragon. In the slender and beautiful arches are depicted scenes from the Old and New Testaments.
The façade of the cathedral remained unfinished until the early 20th century. It was built in the Gothic Revival style by the architects Joseph Oriol Mestres and August Font i Carreras, who were inspired by drawings of the 15th century.
The souvenir sheet recreates the neo-Gothic façade of the cathedral and the stamp frames the main door