- Issue date: 12/09/2012
- Printing Process: Offset
- Paper: Estucado, engomado, fosforescente
- Size of stamp: 40,9 x 28,8 mm. (horizontal)
- Sheet effects: 50
- Postal value of the stamps: 0,70 €
- Print run: 300.000
- Dented: 13 ¾
In the municipality of Jaen, in the so called Oil Greenway is located the old train station of Alcaudete, depicted in the stamp. The train station, no longer in use, has been restored and turned into a hostel and leisure centre for walkers and cyclists who enjoy the old railway line now turned into a Vía Verde (Greenway).
The Oil Greenway runs from Jaén to the river Guadajoz, which borders the province of Cordoba, through 55 kilometres of natural landscapes and olive groves. The path, built in a sturdy mix of tarmac and compact earth accessible to all types of public, passes through the towns of Jaen, Torredelcampo, Torredonjimeno, Martos, Valdo-Jaén and the train station of Alcaudete, 4 kilometres away from the town of the same name. A few miles further, the Oil Greenway stretches into the province of Cordoba, in the so called Subbética Greenway or Greenway Oil II.
The ecotourism route covers most of the railway line built in the late 19th century by the Andalusian Railway Company. It departed from the town of Linares (Jaén), ended in Puente Genil and stopped at Cabra and Lucena (Córdoba). This railway line allowed for steel and especially oil produce to reach the sea port of Málaga and became popularly known as The Oil Train. It was a very busy line since its inauguration in 1893 and up till the early 20th century. In 1936 it was taken over by the State as it was undergoing financial difficulties and in 1969 Renfe (National Railway Service) presented a project proposing the service be closedown to travellers, the abolition of the public transport service of goods and the dismantling of the service line from Torredonjimeno to Campo Real. In 1985 it closed down for good.
A decade later, the Provincial Council of Jaén launched a project to restore the old railway line as a Greenway for ecotourism activities. It was inaugurated in 2001.